Subject: Re: bug#57626: 13.1.4; cases* environment doesn't let me use $

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 15:41:39 +0900

Hi Arash,

>>>>> Arash Esbati <[email-masked]> writes:
> You mean in case a user says: "Dammit AUCTeX, I know what I'm doing,
> insert what I type!"

Rather, "What happened? Not sure, but I type $ again in case I actually
did something wrong instead of typing $ correctly." ;-)

> Now one could argue that " does the same in terms of insert `` first and
> upon second invocation replace that with ", but I'm not sure $ should do
> the same.

Hm, indeed.

>>> ("cases*"   env-off)
>>> ("dcases*"  env-off)
>>> ("rcases*"  env-off) 
>>> ("drcases*" env-off)

> Regardless of this, I think adding the cases entries above to
> `texmathp-tex-commands-default' would make sense and cures the issue at
> hand.  WDYT?

I'm reluctant to take this approach. If `texmathp' regards the first
column of those envs as non-math, it invalidates math-mode aware
features such as automatic switching between \mathrm and \textrm for C-c
C-f C-r, providing {}-pair for "_" and "^" with non-nil
`TeX-electric-sub-and-superscript'.

Then, how about adding supplementary instruction to the message which
`TeX-insert-dollar' shows? For example,
Math mode started with `...' cannot be closed with dollar.  You can
insert it anyway by C-q $.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine