Subject: [bug#57608] Upstreaming KDE Plasma and rest of packages

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 10:09:45 -0400

Hi,

phodina <[email-masked]> writes:

>> On Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:09:24 PM +0000
>> phodina via Guix-patches via [email-masked] wrote:
>> 
>> > - The deal breaker is that Plasma DE does not work ... yet. X11
>> > displays black screen and wayland does not even start. I have
>> > dedicated machine where I intend to have a look into the issue by
>> > strace, going through logs etc.
>> 
>> 
>> Maybe https://issues.guix.gnu.org/57742 is a factor for blocking the
>> wayland session?
>> 
>> --
>
> Thanks for the tip.
>
> Also there is issue with the KCM modules that they were not found. So
> I had to patch package `extra-cmake-modules` and add more runtime Qt
> dependencies.

I think a basic, easy change we could do is restoring QT_PLUGIN_PATH for
Qt6 *only*.  This would fix things like wayland support, by having
qtwayland available in the user profile, while providing some incentive
to upgrade Qt5 packages to Qt6 :-).

Still, requiring the user to manually install qtwayland in their user
profile sounds suboptimal.  Perhaps qt-build-system should simply
propagate it?

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix size qtbase
[...]
total: 1419.4 MiB

$ guix size qtwayland
[...]
total: 1575.9 MiB
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

So, a ~10% increase in size would mean qt applications just works, on
either xorg or wayland sessions, right?

And if we do it this way, we do not need to change any of the current
QT_PLUGIN_PATH wrapping.  Unless there are other Qt plugins that really
make more sense to be used as plugins, rather than hard dependencies?

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim