Subject: bug#57604: [ef]grep usage -> POSIXLY_CORRECT?

From: Santiago Ruano Rincón <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 15:57:22 +0200

El 13/09/22 a las 12:59, [email-masked] escribió:
> Sam <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > I honestly think at this point, it'd be better to just deem them GNU
> > extensions.
> 
> I agree with this, wholeheartedly. FWIW.
> 
> Arnold

FWIW, {e,f}grep have been reintroduced in Debian with grep 3.8-2.

Now, the stray \ warning is causing trouble. libtool has a problematic
grep \-L:
https://sources.debian.org/src/dpkg/1.21.9/m4/libtool.m4/#L6472
which is embedded in an important number of packages:
https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=Configured+with%3A%22+%7C+%24GREP+%22+%5C-L&perpkg=1

Jochen Sprickerhof has already reported the problem in libtool,
including a patch:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1019725
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool-patches/2022-09/msg00001.html
but it will take a lot of time before all of the concerned packages get
a fixed libtool.

I am willing to temporarily silent those warnings, once the affected
packages have been identified, so we can submit bugs and fix them.
See: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1019724

Cheers,

 -- Santiago