Subject: [bug#57598] [PATCH] doc: Update contribution guidelines on patches, etc.

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 16:22:31 +0200

> 
>     The source of the package needs to correspond to what is actually built
>     (i.e., act as the corresponding source), to fulfill our ethical and
>     legal obligations.

(Note: this may need to be changed a bit, in the sense of "guix build 
--source=transitive,all" instead  of "guix build --source".)

> This also seems worded too strongly -- I don't think Guix is bound to
> the concept of the "corresponding source", although it is a nice
> property.

As long as copyright law exists in something sufficiently close to its 
current form, as long as Guix contains GPL software and as long as Guix 
intends to be legal, Guix is bound to the concept of corresponding source.

If Guix decides it isn't bound by the concept of corresponding source, 
there is some software in Guix I am a copyright holder of and the GPL 
has a section ‘8.  Termination’.  IIRC, last time I checked, "guix build 
--sources=transitive,all scheme-gnunet guile-fibers" still works, but if 
that functionality is removed without a replacement ...

Best regards,
Maxime Devos