Subject: bug#57585: closed (Re: bug#57585: guix gc removed home config)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 19:19:01 +0000

Your bug report

#57585: guix gc removed home config

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
57585: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=57585
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#57585: guix gc removed home config
From: Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 21:17:58 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Actually I figured this out:

Generation 16 used an older guix version where guix home added a . at
the end of file names, so my config looked like this:

(simple-service 'xfce4-terminal home-files-service-type               
  `(("config/xfce4/terminal/terminalrc"
    ,(local-file
      "files/xfce4-terminal/terminalrc"))))

Then, I updated Guix without changing my home configuration, so on
generation 17, guix home created $HOME/config instead of $HOME/.config.
So $HOME/.config/xfce4/terminal/terminalrc (and all other config files)
kept pointing to generation 16's files. After removing the generation
and "guix gc", these files no longer exist, and I'm in trouble :)

So, guix home and guix gc are working as intended, but the change to no
longer adding a "." at the beginning of file names (which makes total
sense) tripped me up.

Le Sun, 4 Sep 2022 20:32:58 +0200,
Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]> a écrit :

> Hi Guix!
> 
> Today I ran "guix home delete-generations" to remove my old home
> generations. It removed generations 0 and 17. I'm on generation 18.
> 
> Then I ran "guix gc" and after I noticed I couldn't run a program from
> my window manager (its menu is managed from guix home), I tried to
> look at what was happening. My config files managed by guix home are
> now symlinks that point to non existent store items. Spooky.
> 
> Please let me know how I can help diagnose the issue
> 
> 
> 

Subject: guix gc removed home config
From: Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 20:32:58 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Guix!

Today I ran "guix home delete-generations" to remove my old home
generations. It removed generations 0 and 17. I'm on generation 18.

Then I ran "guix gc" and after I noticed I couldn't run a program from
my window manager (its menu is managed from guix home), I tried to look
at what was happening. My config files managed by guix home are now
symlinks that point to non existent store items. Spooky.

Please let me know how I can help diagnose the issue