Subject: Re: bug#57585: guix gc removed home config

From: Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 21:17:58 +0200

Actually I figured this out:

Generation 16 used an older guix version where guix home added a . at
the end of file names, so my config looked like this:

(simple-service 'xfce4-terminal home-files-service-type               
  `(("config/xfce4/terminal/terminalrc"
    ,(local-file
      "files/xfce4-terminal/terminalrc"))))

Then, I updated Guix without changing my home configuration, so on
generation 17, guix home created $HOME/config instead of $HOME/.config.
So $HOME/.config/xfce4/terminal/terminalrc (and all other config files)
kept pointing to generation 16's files. After removing the generation
and "guix gc", these files no longer exist, and I'm in trouble :)

So, guix home and guix gc are working as intended, but the change to no
longer adding a "." at the beginning of file names (which makes total
sense) tripped me up.

Le Sun, 4 Sep 2022 20:32:58 +0200,
Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]> a écrit :

> Hi Guix!
> 
> Today I ran "guix home delete-generations" to remove my old home
> generations. It removed generations 0 and 17. I'm on generation 18.
> 
> Then I ran "guix gc" and after I noticed I couldn't run a program from
> my window manager (its menu is managed from guix home), I tried to
> look at what was happening. My config files managed by guix home are
> now symlinks that point to non existent store items. Spooky.
> 
> Please let me know how I can help diagnose the issue
> 
> 
>