Subject: Re: bug#57572: 29.0.50; Tramp error with tramp-file-name-unify

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 15:08:39 +0200

Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello Michael,

Hi Thierry,

>> non-essential is a mean to tell Tramp, that it shouldn't open a
>> connection when it isn't established yet.
>
> Yes, it is what I always understood but I am now confused because the
> connection is trigerred by file-accessible-directory-p even with
> non-essential==t.

Well, non-essential is not checked for *all* basic functions. Its most
important use is to prevent expand-file-name and file-exists-p from
action. See function tramp-connectable-p, and its use in tramp.el and
tramp-sh.el.

Why it has triggered file-accessible-directory-p to go remote I cannot
analyze w/o traces.

>> That's why you bind it in helm to t. Of course it will work when you
>> don't bind it.
>
> It is bound to t on top but it is nil in helm-find-files-get-candidates.

Well, this lets Tramp connect.

>> But then, there are other problems.
>
> Yes of course but only if I bind it on top, isn't it?

Wherever you bind it. If a Tramp function is called, and non-essential
is nil, Tramp is likely to go remote. If you want it, fine.

Best regards, Michael.