Subject: Re: bug#57572: 29.0.50; Tramp error with tramp-file-name-unify

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 10:18:25 +0200

Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Thierry,

>> But wait, you are in file name completion.
>
> Yes, but not sure tramp detects a "file name completion" here as it is
> not a standard completion used here.

Tramp doesn't need to detect that you're in file name completion or
whatever, there are some functions to be called depending on the file
name syntax you pass as arguments, that's all.

>> So I guess you have bound `non-essential' to t. In that case,
>> `expand-file-name' expands only, if the connection is established
>> already.
>
> I have now bound non-essential to nil _before_ calling
> file-accessible-directory-p and I have no error.
> Perhaps it is the right way to do?

non-essential is a mean to tell Tramp, that it shouldn't open a
connection when it isn't established yet. That's why you bind it in helm
to t. Of course it will work when you don't bind it. But then, there are
other problems.

The patch I've shown to you yesterday solves your helm-find-files
case, but the Tramp testsuite fails. I'm analyzing what's up.

Best regards, Michael.