Subject: bug#57563: 28.1; macOS - layout warning at startup

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 21:35:11 +0800

Bob Kline <[email-masked]> writes:

> No version built with the tool we've been using displays the unwanted
> warning (including emacs 28). On the other hand, "brew install
> homebrew/cask-versions/emacs-nightly" gives me emacs-29.0.50 WITH the
> warning. I did a little digging to try and find out which options were
> used for building emacs, but didn't have any luck. I suppose I could
> file a bug with the Homebrew folks. Anyone have any experience with
> that? Is the Homebrew team as responsive as this one? 😉

Maybe it could be related to the version of Mac OS that the Emacs binary
was built on?

There are two knobs, MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED and
MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MIN_REQUIRED, that change Emacs and operating system
behavior.  But I can never remember what they mean.  What if you build
Emacs with them defined to the same values that the Homebrew package was
built with?

I don't think you can obtain their values from binaries, so you will
probably have to ask the person who built the Homebrew package.