Subject: Re: bug#57563: 28.1; macOS - layout warning at startup

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 03:36:04 +0200

Bob Kline <[email-masked]> writes:

> The unwanted behavior is the display at startup of an annoying warning
> which suggests something may break in the future.

[...]

> 2022-09-03 09:35:53.118 Emacs-x86_64-10_14[37072:11711478] It's not
> legal to call -layoutSubtreeIfNeeded on a view which is already being
> laid out.  If you are implementing the view's -layout method, you can
> call -[super layout] instead. Break on void
> _NSDetectedLayoutRecursion(void) to debug.  This will be logged only
> once.  This may break in the future.

[...]

> In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.7.0, NS
> appkit-1671.60 Version 10.14.6 (Build 18G95))
>  of 2022-05-11 built on builder10-14.lan
> Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
> System Description:  macOS 12.5.1

I tried this on my M1 Apple laptop, and I did not get this warning.
This is with:

In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 2, aarch64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS appkit-2113.60 Versi\
on 12.5.1 (Build 21G83))
 of 2022-09-05 built on emkay.local
Repository revision: 5a223c7f2ef4c31abbd46367b6ea83cd19d30aa7
Repository branch: HEAD
System Description:  macOS 12.5.1