Subject: bug#57563: 28.1; macOS - layout warning at startup

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 16:25:48 +0800

Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I was able to build emacs using that tool. It does not exhibit the
>> unwanted behavior, which is both fortunate (I have an emacs without
>> the bug) and unfortunate (we didn't get the information we hoped would
>> help track down and eliminate the bug). The tool built version
>> 29.0.50, so I suppose it's possible that the bug was in the emacs
>> code, not in Apple's software, and it got fixed. Or the bug was in
>> Apple's code, and the emacs developers came up (either intentionally
>> or inadvertently) with a workaround. But I'm wandering into territory
>> prohibited by the bug-reporting instructions (speculating about the
>> cause of a bug), so I'll stop. 😎

Bob, could you please try using "git bisect" to determine which change
eliminated the unwanted warning?

Basically, we know that master is good, but emacs-28 exhibits the bug.
So you have to run the following commands in the Emacs repository, with
git installed:

  $ git bisect start
  $ git bisect bad emacs-28
  $ git bisect good master

Every time it asks you to try a different revision, run:

  $ make extraclean
  $ <however the tool builds emacs>

and then, after you test the resulting Emacs binary:

  $ git bisect bad

if the build does not exhibit the bug, or:

  $ git bisect good

if it does.

Hopefully, after repeating that procedure several times, the VCS will
tell you exactly which commit fixed the bug.

Thanks.