Subject: Re: bug#57563: 28.1; macOS - layout warning at startup

From: Bob Kline <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 14:01:03 -0400

On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 9:58 AM Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> On 22-09-07 15:48 , Bob Kline wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 9:41 AM Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >> ...
> >> Any change you can build Emacs yourself, Bob?
> >
> > I'll give it a shot. I've built my own emacs on Linux, but it's been
> > more than a quarter century since I've done any serious development
> > for Mac software. Might take a day or two (assuming I succeed).
>
> This worked for me a while ago (shell scripts and so on, using Homebrew):
>
> https://github.com/jimeh/build-emacs-for-macos

I was able to build emacs using that tool. It does not exhibit the
unwanted behavior, which is both fortunate (I have an emacs without
the bug) and unfortunate (we didn't get the information we hoped would
help track down and eliminate the bug). The tool built version
29.0.50, so I suppose it's possible that the bug was in the emacs
code, not in Apple's software, and it got fixed. Or the bug was in
Apple's code, and the emacs developers came up (either intentionally
or inadvertently) with a workaround. But I'm wandering into territory
prohibited by the bug-reporting instructions (speculating about the
cause of a bug), so I'll stop. 😎