Subject: bug#57563: 28.1; macOS - layout warning at startup

From: Bob Kline <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 10:39:46 -0400

This is related to bug report 53481

https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=53481

I followed the instructions to unarchive that bug by sending a message
to control AT debbugs.gnu.org, with unarchive 53481 in the body, and
then emailing my followup to 53481 AT debbugs.gnu.org, but that appears
to have had no effect.

In the thread for that bug report Alan Third (alan <at> idiocy.org)
wrote that the bug was fixed in Emacs 28, but that does not appear to be
true.

The unwanted behavior is the display at startup of an annoying warning
which suggests something may break in the future.

[BEGIN TERMINAL TRANSCRIPT]
% emacs --version
GNU Emacs 28.1
Copyright (C) 2022 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of GNU Emacs
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.
% emacs -Q
2022-09-03 09:35:53.118 Emacs-x86_64-10_14[37072:11711478] It's not
legal to call -layoutSubtreeIfNeeded on a view which is already being
laid out.  If you are implementing the view's -layout method, you can
call -[super layout] instead. Break on void
_NSDetectedLayoutRecursion(void) to debug.  This will be logged only
once.  This may break in the future.
[END TERMINAL TRANSCRIPT]

[begin environment information captured by M-x report-emacs-bug]
In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.7.0, NS
appkit-1671.60 Version 10.14.6 (Build 18G95))
 of 2022-05-11 built on builder10-14.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.5.1

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
ACL GMP GNUTLS JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER THREADS
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils goto-addr thingatpt
noutline outline view jka-compr info misearch multi-isearch time-date
vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher web-mode advice disp-table
finder-inf time package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue
cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 350507 11196)
 (symbols 48 15228 1)
 (strings 32 82138 2244)
 (string-bytes 1 2046050)
 (vectors 16 24837)
 (vector-slots 8 339889 25814)
 (floats 8 36 50)
 (intervals 56 31601 0)
 (buffers 992 13))
[end environment information captured by M-x report-emacs-bug]

Thanks.

-- 
Bob Kline
https://www.rksystems.com
mailto:[email-masked]