Subject: bug#57563: 28.1; macOS - layout warning at startup

From: Bob Kline <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 09:33:08 -0400

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 7:35 AM Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]> wrote:
> ...
> Thanks.  I'll close this bug, then.

Sounds good. One final note: I'm a bit embarrassed that I hadn't
noticed that the original bug report, which I linked at the top of
this one, included the stack trace that was requested in this ticket.
I still think closing this ticket is the right thing to do. I
reproduced the bug on a different Intel MacBook, which I had scrubbed
and on which the only third-party software I installed was Emacs from
https://emacsformacosx.com/.

That distribution of Emacs is built using three scripts:

* one to retrieve the source tar
* one to build the Emacs executables
* one to roll the executables into a single launcher

So what we know includes:

* the bug has only been reported for Intel-based Macs
* it can be reproduced on a pristine installation of Mac OS
* the launcher built with the third script decides which platform
version to launch
* the bug always happens on Intel using that Rust launcher
* it never happens running Emacs directly from the results of the second script

I'm going to guess (oops, here I am again disregarding the bug-filing
instructions) that the launcher is at least partially responsible for
the unwanted behavior. I'm not saying there can't be some subtle flaw
in the Emacs code on which the launcher has tripped, but it seems that
for now at least, the ball's in someone else's court.

https://github.com/caldwell/build-emacs/issues/123