Subject: Re: bug#57556: 28.1; Eshell not finding executables in PATH when tramp-integration loaded

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 14:27:48 +0200

Jim Porter <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Jim,

All patches look OK to me (patch 0002 in the newer version). Just two
minor nits:

> [6. text/plain; 0005-Allow-setting-the-values-of-variable-aliases-in-Eshe.patch]
>
> +You can set variables in a few different ways.  To set a Lisp
> +variable, you can use the command @samp{setq @var{name} @var{value}},
> +which works much like its Lisp counterpart.  To set an environment
> +variable, use @samp{export @var{NAME}=@var{value}}. You can also use
> +@samp{set @var{name} @var{value}}, which sets a Lisp variable if
> +@var{name} is a symbol, or an environment variable if @var{name} is a
> +string.  Finally, you can temporarily set environment variables for a
> +single command with @samp{@var{NAME}=@var{value} @var{command}
> +@dots{}}. This is equivalent to:
> +
> +@example
> +@{
> +  set @var{NAME} @var{value}
> +  @var{command} @dots{}
> +@}
> +@end example

@var{} produces already capital letters, so you are more consistent with
@var{name}.

> [7. text/plain; 0006-Improve-handling-of-PATH-in-Eshell-for-remote-direct.patch]
>
> +@vindex $PATH
> +@item $PATH
> +This specifies the directories to search for executable programs as a
> +string, separated by @code{":"} for Unix and GNU systems, and
> +@code{";"} for MS systems.  This variable is connection-aware, so when
> +the current directory on a remote host, it will automatically update
> +to reflect the search path on that host.

"... when the current directory is on a remote host ..."

Perhaps you could also say, that when the current directory changes back
to the local host, $PATH is also updated respectively.

Best reegards, Michael.