Subject: bug#57555: closed (Re: bug#57555: 29.0.50; variable-pitch font issue with medium weight default font)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 22:55:02 +0000

Your bug report

#57555: 29.0.50; variable-pitch font issue with medium weight default font

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
57555: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=57555
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#57555: 29.0.50; variable-pitch font issue with medium weight default font
From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
To: Amin Bandali <[email-masked]>
Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 22:54:14 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

>
> I'll close this bug after applying my patch (which might take a few 
> days, it's being discussed in bug#59347).
>

The discussion was a bit longer than anticipated, but a variant of the 
patch has now been installed (30e3cb2135).

Closing.

Subject: 29.0.50; variable-pitch font issue with medium weight default font
From: Amin Bandali <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 21:35:24 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

As of the recent 6b1ed2f2c99a1c2da56c5f434570c438cad6576d, I've been
experiencing an issue where Emacs chooses / falls back on 'misc-fixed'
instead of the correct sans-serif variable-pitch font ('GNU FreeSans',
for me) when I use a custom default font with medium weight.

Screenshots from before (no issue) and after (with issue) the commit:

https://kelar.org/~bandali/tmp/20220903/before-6b1ed2f.png
https://kelar.org/~bandali/tmp/20220903/after-6b1ed2f.png

This happens regardless of whether I set the font via X resources:

    Emacs.font: Source Code Pro Medium-10.5

or with Emacs Lisp:

    (set-frame-font "Source Code Pro-10.5:weight=medium" nil t)

This happens only if I use the medium weight variant, and if I leave
that out and just use Source Code Pro (regular) this doesn't happen.
Also, perhaps strangely enough, the issue seems to only affect the
regular variable-pitch font: e.g. italic variable-pitch is correctly
displayed in sans-serif.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 86, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2022-09-02 built on langa
Repository revision: 63ee620700b1d85f7069a0b0f4232815e5374b4c
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: Trisquel GNU/Linux Nabia (10.0.1)

Configured using:
 'configure --without-gconf --without-gsettings --without-gpm
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-xaw3d --with-mailutils'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP
X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  global-hl-todo-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  global-display-fill-column-indicator-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-cite flyspell ispell mail-extr emacsbug gnus-topic
nndoc nndraft nnmh utf-7 epa-file network-stream nsm nnfolder nnnil
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig nntp gnus-cache
gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny dired-x
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader
gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr battery dbus
cmake-font-lock boxquote rect cl-extra yasnippet help-mode server
winner windmove cmake-mode thingatpt derived rst compile
text-property-search hl-todo pcase delight ffs pixel-scroll cua-base
tramp-cache time-stamp tramp-sh tramp rx tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration cus-edit pp cus-start cus-load icons files-x
tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601
time-date ls-lisp format-spec recentf tree-widget wid-edit savehist
saveplace easy-mmode display-fill-column-indicator autorevert
filenotify time xml finder-inf boxquote-autoloads
modus-themes-autoloads info package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv url-vars cl-loaddefs
cl-lib view bandali-po bandali-erc bandali-message bandali-gnus
bandali-dired bandali-ibuffer ibuf-macs bandali-eshell bandali-org
advice rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 272607 55417)
 (symbols 48 21970 2)
 (strings 32 80614 6279)
 (string-bytes 1 2420189)
 (vectors 16 37593)
 (vector-slots 8 437507 11528)
 (floats 8 264 106)
 (intervals 56 1444 0)
 (buffers 1000 24))