Subject: Re: bug#57555: 29.0.50; variable-pitch font issue with medium weight default font

From: Amin Bandali <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 11:13:38 -0500

Gregory Heytings writes:

>>
>> Sorry for my unintended long absence -- I meant to get back to this
>> bug report much earlier -- and thanks very much for the patch.
>>
>
> No worries, the patch was sent only a few hours ago!

Thanks.  I meant more in terms of my earlier absence and not getting
around to debug and try putting together a patch for it myself. :-)

[...]
>
> Are you sure :family is the right attribute here?  Using :font instead
> of :family seems to do TRT.  Can you please try that and see if it
> does what you expect?
>

Hmm, not sure indeed: I always used :family and it seemed to work fine
so I never really questioned it.  I had a quick look at the relevant
parts of the manual(s) and I think their difference is a bit clearer
for me now.  That said, you're quite right, the following works nicely
with your patch, thanks!

    (set-face-attribute 'fixed-pitch nil
                        :font "Source Code Pro"
                        :weight 'medium)