Subject: bug#57555: 29.0.50; variable-pitch font issue with medium weight default font

From: Amin Bandali <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 10:27:52 -0500

Hi Gregory, (all,)

Gregory Heytings writes:

> Amin, could you please try the attached patch and tell us if it fixes
> your problem?  (It does here, with your recipe.)
>
> Thanks.
>
>

Sorry for my unintended long absence -- I meant to get back to this
bug report much earlier -- and thanks very much for the patch.

Your patch nicely remedies the original issue that I'd reported, but
with it applied, at least the following doesn't seem to have an effect
anymore:

    (set-face-attribute 'fixed-pitch nil :family "Source Code Pro")

I use that in conjunction with the following to have my mode-line
typeset in Source Code Pro:

    (set-face-attribute 'mode-line nil
                        :background "#e7e7e7"
                        :inherit 'fixed-pitch)

With your patch, my mode-line (and fixed-pitch itself) are typeset in
my system's sans-serif font, aka GNU FreeSans (even though
describe-face reports "Family: Source Code Pro" for fixed-pitch).

Sorry if this is not a lot to go by; I'll see if I can set aside some
time in the coming days to have a closer look at the underlying code.