Subject: bug#57555: 29.0.50; variable-pitch font issue with medium weight default font

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 16:34:51 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 13:42:10 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > So maybe we should consider resetting just the weight attribute,
> > perhaps only if its value is 'medium' (assuming that solves this
> > particular issue).  That's a far cry from resetting all of them.
> 
> Yes -- what we had before the last change was "reset all except a
> couple", and I suspect we should just keep going that way instead.  And
> include the weight in that list.
> 
> But I'm not at all sure about anything in this area.

"All except a couple" is too many, and the couple that was exempted
was rather arbitrary, as the discussion has shown.  So I'd rather we
added attributes to the list of those we reset one by one, and only
after careful consideration.

Right now, I'm not even sure resetting the weight if it's value is
'medium' will solve Amin's problem, because Amin didn't respond.  Once
it says his problem is solved by that, I think we should reset only
the 'medium' weight, and see whether this causes problems elsewhere.