Subject: bug#57555: 29.0.50; variable-pitch font issue with medium weight default font

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 15:50:56 +0300

> Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 08:08:22 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
> cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> >> Amin, can you try the following patch, and tell us if it fixes your 
> >> problem?
> >
> > Why is this TRT, even if it does solve this particular problem?
> 
> I don't claim it's TRT, I was exploring that bug and wanted to 
> double-check with Amin that I'm not on a wrong path.

Well, you reverted the important part of commit 6b1ed2f, which Amin
said caused his problem.  So you are not on a wrong path wrt that...

> > Forgetting the other attributes is problematic, and would quite 
> > certainly lead to much more serious problems.
> 
> I don't know.  That's what that code had been doing during the last eight 
> years or so, so it can't be completely wrong.

It also caused bug#37473, which IMO is much more serious than what
Amin describes, and which I attempted to fix in commit 6b1ed2f with
exactly the part you now suggest to remove.

Did you read the discussion of bug#37473?  We've been through the
issue of whether ignoring some of the font attributes is a good
strategy; my conclusion was that it wasn't, and thus the change I made
in 6b1ed2f simply went back to the code we had for many years before
commit bf0d3f7, which did what you are suggesting to do now, and
caused bug#37473.

If, after reading those discussions, and studying the changes we did
in that area of the code, you still think the change you propose is
the right way, please elaborate why you think so, given all the
negative feedback we have for it.

Thanks.