Subject: bug#57531: 28.1; Character encoding missing for "eo"

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 14:40:28 +0300

> Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 08:16:18 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
> cc: [email-masked], Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> > Except that most other locales have "UTF-8" in their name when UTF-8 
> > should be used, so the current logic selects the right encoding, without 
> > consulting (locale-info 'codeset).  For example, with the locale 
> > "mt_MT", Emacs uses ISO-8859-3, and with the locale "mt_MT.UTF-8", Emacs 
> > uses UTF-8.
> >
> 
> (BTW, this also means that the OP could solve his problem by using 
> "eo.UTF-8" for his locale instead of only "eo".)

That was suggested, but rejected, because the system in question (or
maybe any GNU/Linux system?) doesn't have such a locale.

But AFAIU locale.alias should have told Emacs which encoding is
appropriate for "eo".  Andreas asked the OP what does locale.alias say
about that, but I saw no response yet.

What does "grep ^eo /usr/share/X11/locale/locale.alias" say on your
system?