Subject: bug#57531: 28.1; Character encoding missing for "eo"

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 08:16:18 +0000

>>>> (locale-info 'codeset)
>>> 
>>> If you mean that set-locale-environment should use that, please say 
>>> that explicitly.  And then feel free to suggest a patch that does TRT 
>>> with all the convoluted logic and preferences there, so that we don't 
>>> disrupt the setup it took us decades to come up to, for the benefit of 
>>> a single obscure locale.
>> 
>> It's not for a single obscure locale, it's for all of them.
>
> Except that most other locales have "UTF-8" in their name when UTF-8 
> should be used, so the current logic selects the right encoding, without 
> consulting (locale-info 'codeset).  For example, with the locale 
> "mt_MT", Emacs uses ISO-8859-3, and with the locale "mt_MT.UTF-8", Emacs 
> uses UTF-8.
>

(BTW, this also means that the OP could solve his problem by using 
"eo.UTF-8" for his locale instead of only "eo".)