Subject: Re: bug#57531: 28.1; Character encoding missing for "eo"

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 14:13:54 +0200

Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]> writes:

> Actually that problem has been debugged: it's a NixOS bug.  NixOS
> rejects the locale to "eo.UTF-8" in its configuration files, even
> though "eo.UTF-8" is a perfectly valid locale.  It rejects it because
> the "eo.UTF-8" string is not present in some text file (apparently the
> "localedata/SUPPORTED" file from glibc).

Ah, right.  Somebody should report this to the NixOS people, I guess?

>> Yes, that would be helpful.  On this Ubuntu system, I just
>> uncommented the "eo" line in locale.gen and ran locale-gen, and that
>> made both the "eo" and "eo.UTF-8" locales available.
>>
>
> Another similar example is the en_IL (English Israel) locale.  X11's
> locale.alias indicates that "en_IL" alone means "en_IL.ISO8859-1", yet
> glibc provides only one encoding for "en_IL", namely "UTF-8".
>
> To avoid such bugs, the most reasonable thing to do for users is to
> always specify the encoding.

So I think the conclusion here is that after taking all the options into
consideration, we don't want to change anything on the Emacs side here,
both because of backwards compat issues, and the X encoding issues noted
by Po Lu.

I'm therefore closing this bug report.