Subject: Re: bug#57531: 28.1; Character encoding missing for "eo"

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 15:13:15 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> It won't solve the problem if you have that X11 file on your system,
> because we read it before we get to the code I changed.

Ah, right.

>> This does work (with or without the patch):
>> 
>> LANG=eo.UTF-8 ./src/emacs -Q
>> current-locale-environment
>> "eo.UTF-8"
>
> But it requires the eo.UTF-8 locale to be available, AFAIU, and for
> that reason somehow didn't work for the OP.  I don't think I
> understood why it didn't work for him.  I still hope the OP will come
> back and help us understand that.

Yes, that would be helpful.  On this Ubuntu system, I just uncommented
the "eo" line in locale.gen and ran locale-gen, and that made both the
"eo" and "eo.UTF-8" locales available.

> If we think 2) will work for (almost) everyone, maybe the problem is
> not serious enough to have to decide between two extremes?

Yes, that's quite possible.

But this might also be an opportunity to stop parsing that apparently
outdated file X11 file completely...