Subject: Re: bug#5753: something, something, org-mode, shift-select, something

From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 22:22:28 -0400

This post is for the sake of completeness, and to summarise / add to my
previous posts on this bug, namely:

http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5753#17
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5753#35
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5753#41

In GNU Emacs 23.3.1 [1] and 24.3 [2], either of the settings

    (setq org-support-shift-select t)

or

    (setq org-support-shift-select (quote always))

will enable shift selection in org-mode, as described in

    C-h v org-support-shift-select RET

_only if_ cua-mode is turned off. But if cua-made is turned on, shift
selection fails everywhere in org mode -- no selection gets made. Adding
the following workaround fixes the problem:

;; This snippet from jisang-yoo on reddit to enable shift select in org
;; mode when cua-mode is on.
(eval-after-load "org"
    '(progn
       (eval-after-load "cua-base"
         '(progn
            (defadvice org-call-for-shift-select (before
            org-call-for-shift-select-cua activate)
              (if (and cua-mode
                       org-support-shift-select (not (use-region-p)))
                  (cua-set-mark)))))))
;; End jisang-yoo snippet

In GNU Emacs GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 [3] org-support-shift-select works
essentially as documented, and the workaround is not required. :)

---

[1] GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2011-03-10 on Windows XP
(5.1.2600) with Org-mode version 7.9.2 (7.9.2-48-gb7c5cf-elpa) of
2012-10-15.

[2] GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.2) of
2013-08-14 on Fedora 19 with Org-mode version 8.2.5h
(8.2.5h-6-g8e1386-elpa) of 2014-02-03.

[3] GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (Repository revision: 116400) of 2014-02-10 on
Fedora 19 and Org-mode version 8.2.5c (release_8.2.5c) of unknown date.