Subject: bug#5753: something, something, org-mode, shift-select, something

From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 17:45:50 -0400

Bastien <[email-masked]> writes:

> can you tell me what exactly the bug is wrt cua-mode and org-mode?

Hi Bastien,

Well, I can tell you the symptoms; I'm sorry to report that I know
nothing of the internals.

I have this snippet of code in my configuration files and with it
everything works fine and has been working fine for a few years:

    ;; This snippet from jisang-yoo on reddit to enable shift select in
    ;; org mode when cua-mode is on.
    (eval-after-load "org"
        '(progn
           (eval-after-load "cua-base"
             '(progn
                (defadvice org-call-for-shift-select (before
                org-call-for-shift-select-cua activate)
                  (if (and cua-mode
                           org-support-shift-select (not
                           (use-region-p)))
                      (cua-set-mark)))))))
    ;; End jisang-yoo snippet

If I comment out that snippet and restart Emacs, then shift selection no
longer works in org-mode unless I turn off cua-mode.

When I say shift selection doesn't work, I mean that when I hold down
the shift key and move the cursor with the arrow keys I don't get any
highlighting of the text I'm trying to select. And it's not just a
failure to highlight the selection, there seems to be no selection
happening because a cut or copy of the imaginary selection doesn't do
anything.

If I toggle off cua-mode (from the menu for example), then shift
selection immediately starts working in org-mode. If I leave cua-mode
tuned on and M-x fundamental-mode, then shift selection immediately
starts working in the buffer with org file. That is to say, the symptoms
are simple and 100% reproducible.

> If the bug is here for Emacs 24.3, can you try downloading and
> installing the latest Org stable version (http://orgmode.org) and see
> if the bug is still there?

I am currently using Org-mode version 8.2.5h-6-g8e1386-elpa of
2014-02-03 on GNU Emacs 24.3.1. If you need me to try a newer version of
Org, I can do so, although I do prefer to use the version from Elpa as
it seems it would be easier to uninstall it if it breaks my Emacs.

> Thanks in advance for your help,

You're welcome. Please let me know if you need me to install the latest
Org stable version or do any specific testing.

N.