Subject: Re: bug#57526: 29.0.50; Precise pixel-scrolling works great with touchpad but not with mouse wheel

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 13:41:08 +0200

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

>> The short list is:
>>
>> ❯ xinput list
>> WARNING: running xinput against an Xwayland server. See the xinput man page
>> for details.
>> ⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
>> ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
>> ⎜   ↳ xwayland-pointer:39                     	id=6	[slave  pointer  (2)]
>> ⎜   ↳ xwayland-relative-pointer:39            	id=7	[slave  pointer  (2)]
>> ⎜   ↳ xwayland-pointer-gestures:39            	id=8	[slave  pointer  (2)]
>> ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
>>     ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
>>     ↳ xwayland-keyboard:39                    	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
>>
>> Interestingly, that list is the same no matter if I plugged my mouse
>> into my notebook's USB slot or if it is not connected.
>
> Ah, you're using Xwayland.

Actually, I use pgtk so that emacs runs as native wayland client but I
guess that doesn't make a difference here.

AFAIK, X and wayland use libinput for device handling by default and
"libinput list-devices" knows about touchpad AND USB mouse.  Of course I
have no clue if that has any relevance wrt. emacs.

Bye,
Tassilo