Subject: Re: bug#5751: Strange behaviour of ff-find-other-file

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 21:25:54 -0400

reopen 5751
tags 5751 - notabug
severity 5751 wishlist
retitle 5751 Let ff-find-other-file search other directories (in "project"?)
quit

Andrew Hyatt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sorry for the delay in response here.  I think I understand what you are
> saying, but I think we probably would both agree this is more of a
> feature request than a bug.
>
> But I'm not sure it makes sense as a feature request - just because you
> have foo.c and foo.h, it is dangerous to think they are related just
> because they both exist as buffers.  I frequently have multiple copies
> of the same file open in different directories to work on different
> issues - it would be a bug if ff-find-other-file started flipping
> between two very different working directories.
>
> So, I'm closing this one as not a bug. 

I'm reopening, because I think this does make sense as a feature
request.  Generally foo.c and foo.h will be related if they are in the
same "project", so probably the user will want the file to be found in
this case.  I think Emacs recently got some kind of "project API" thing,
perhaps that can be used for this?