Subject: bug#57507: Regular expression matching depends on locale encoding

From: Jean Abou Samra <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 20:39:26 +0200

Le 05/09/2022 à 09:48, Ludovic Courtès a écrit :
> Hi Jean,
>
> Jean Abou Samra <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> Regular expressions do funky things with Unicode if a non-Unicode-aware
>> locale is set. Yet, they're purely string operations, so I don't think
>> it's expected that they depend on the locale encoding.
> This is the expected behavior: first because (ice-9 regex) is
> implemented in terms of the libc regex functions, as Dale put (but that
> could be thought as an implementation detail), and second because things
> such as character classes are necessarily locale-dependent (this has
> bitten us in the past, for instance with <https://bugs.gnu.org/35785>).
>
> I hope that makes sense.

OK, thanks, but in this case, it should be clearly stated as a limitation
in the (ice-9 regex) documentation IMHO. If you don't know what constraints
there are on the implementation, there is no reason to expect this. Would it
help if I submitted a patch for that?