Subject: bug#57501: closed (Re: bug#57501: call-with-file-lock does not remove lock file)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 00:53:02 +0000

Your bug report

#57501: call-with-file-lock does not remove lock file

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
57501: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=57501
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#57501: call-with-file-lock does not remove lock file
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 01:52:36 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> skribis:

> “call-with-file-lock” and “call-with-file-lock/no-wait” create a lock
> file but don’t remove the lock file when they exit.
>
> (guix build syscalls) defines these procedures with “dynamic-wind” so
> that the lock is always lifted with “unlock-file”.  While “unlock-file”
> uses the fcntl syscall to remove the lock on the file, the lock file
> itself is not deleted.
>
> I think it should be deleted.  When the lock file sticks around we may
> run into problems due to lock file ownership.  For example, imagine a
> cron job running as a different user that upgrades the contents of a
> user profile.  That cron job would leave behind an unlocked lock file
> owned by that user, preventing the owner of the profile from operating
> on the profile even though the lock has already been lifted with
> “unlock-file”.
>
> I propose letting either unlock-file or with-profile-lock delete the
> lock file.

Agreed.  Done in a68229b9a0f450db622511adfe00ff7307d745d3, thanks!

Ludo’.

Subject: call-with-file-lock does not remove lock file
From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 11:50:38 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

“call-with-file-lock” and “call-with-file-lock/no-wait” create a lock
file but don’t remove the lock file when they exit.

(guix build syscalls) defines these procedures with “dynamic-wind” so
that the lock is always lifted with “unlock-file”.  While “unlock-file”
uses the fcntl syscall to remove the lock on the file, the lock file
itself is not deleted.

I think it should be deleted.  When the lock file sticks around we may
run into problems due to lock file ownership.  For example, imagine a
cron job running as a different user that upgrades the contents of a
user profile.  That cron job would leave behind an unlocked lock file
owned by that user, preventing the owner of the profile from operating
on the profile even though the lock has already been lifted with
“unlock-file”.

I propose letting either unlock-file or with-profile-lock delete the
lock file.

-- 
Ricardo