Subject: Re: bug#5749: 24.0.50; Gomoku startup latency

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 08:44:33 +0900

>>>>> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 16:19:20 -0400, Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> said:

> Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:
>> Indeed.  Note that the new behavior happens to be more correct
>> w.r.t its docstring:
>> 
>>   It is inserted into that buffer before its point.
>> 
>> so it promises to move point in the specified buffer.  At first I
>> thought we should fix append-to-buffer to behave as it used to, but
>> now I'm wondering whether we should fix the uses instead.

That's exactly what I thought, and that's why I posted a patch that
changes (append-to-buffer (current-buffer) ...) to (prepend-to-buffer
(current-buffer) ...), rather than reverting append-to-buffer.

> I've changed it to behave as it used to in the branch, because who
> know how many other packages rely on the same assumption gomoku did.

> As for whether to switch to the new behavior in the trunk, if so it
> should be documented.

If it is changed in the trunk, then it might be good to add some
notices to documents in Emacs 23.2, telling the behavior of
append-to-buffer might change in future with respect to the current
buffer, and suggesting prepend-to-buffer for those cases to make the
behavior consistent.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				[email-masked]