Subject: bug#57483: 28.1.91; expand hl-line-mode to highlight-line-mode for readability

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 12:35:24 +0200

Van Ly <[email-masked]> writes:

> The sequence "hl" is easy to type but recalling its function after not
> using  it a  while  takes  effort.  Seeing  "Hl-Line  mode enabled  in
> current buffer" also takes effort to read.
>
> In the spirit of "display-line-numbers-mode" can "highlight-line-mode"
> be the full expansion for feedback and the expansion to "hl"?
>
> Steps to reproduce
>  . start "emacs -Q"
>  . type three lines of "q"
>  . on the middle line type "M-x hl" and TAB to use the completion
>
> An improvement from my point of view
>  . on the middle line type "hl" and TAB to use the completion
>  . the completion expands what was "hl-line-mode" to "highlight-line-mode"

We could consider renaming hl-line-mode to highlight-line-mode, I guess?
Anybody have any opinions?

But I don't think completing hl to highlight-line-mode would make much
sense, even if it was possible, because nobody would be typing `M-x hl
TAB' in the first place without knowing that the mode was called
`hl-line-mode'.