Subject: Re: [bug#57453] Add chrpath package

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 18:33:47 +0200

On 27-08-2022 12:40, damaxi via Guix-patches via wrote:

> Hello,
>
> That's my first time when I am trying to apply patch to guix.
>
> That's a package which is required by some software like bitbake. So I 
> think it would be nice to have.
>
> Best Regards,
> Daniel

Looking at the README, it appears to be a Debian project. As such, I do 
not think the FSF directory entry can count as home page. The closest 
thing to a home page I found is: 
<https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/chrpath> (there's also 
https://packages.debian.org/source/sid/chrpath, but that's 
version-specific).

It also contains some binaries (generated Autotools files) and bundled 
dependencies  (configure, config.guess, config.h.in, depcomp, 
install-sh, missing, config.sub, acinclude.m4, aclocal.m4), try removing 
them (in a snippet). That way, the problem of old Autotools not 
supporting new architectures is avoided (it's sometimes encountered for 
aarch64, powerpc and riscv64).

AFAICT no version of the GPL is specified anywhere. As such, by 
condition (9) of the GPL 2,

> [...] If the Program does not specify a version number of
> this License, you may choose any version ever published by the Free 
> Software
> Foundation.
, so it appears to be gpl1+, not gpl2-only.

Geetings,
Maxime.