Subject: bug#57434: 28.1.91; Terminal Emacs Mac OS flickering.

From: Dmitrii Kuragin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 12:04:38 -0700

On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 11:57 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > From: Dmitrii Kuragin <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 11:24:45 -0700
> > Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> >
> > I see the behavior as a correct one (at least by design), but when we do
> insert instead of writing the terminal
> > flickers. Do we need to adjust some numbers or do we have to understand
> the reason why we flush the
> > content?
>
> What do you mean by "flush the content"?  If this is what causes the
> flickering, then please explain where does the code perform the
> "flush".
>
> More generally, we need to understand why insertion cause flickering
> whereas writing to the terminal does not.
>

I agree.

Let's ignore what I said about flushing. My assumption was that we draw the
terminal content in multiple steps in different places. For example, we
remove some lines, then do some logic, then we draw chars on top of it. So,
if we have a lag between the operations and the terminal refreshes the
screen we see only part of the content. But, as I said. Let's ignore that
and if you have any guidance on how I can debug it further, it would be
awesome.

Flickering is consistent for some specific area. If I scroll between 2
lines, back-and-forth Emacs flickers consistently.

What would be my next steps to give more debug information?

-- 
*If you get an email from me outside of the 9-5 it is *not* because I'm
always on or expect an immediate response from you; it is because of work
flexibility
<http://www.inc.com/john-boitnott/how-flexible-hours-can-create-a-better-work-life-balance.html>
.  Evening and weekend emails are a sign I allocated some regular working
hours for other things (such as family, gym, friends,...).  And I encourage
you to feel free to do the same.