Subject: bug#57434: 28.1.91; Terminal Emacs Mac OS flickering.

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2022 10:18:57 +0200

Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> So we have 2 alternatives:
>>
>>   . declare that flickering on alacritty is currently a known problem,
>>     and wait till Someone comes up with the proper solution for Emacs;
>>   . add that variable I mentioned above, and let users try to fix the
>>     problem with alacritty by flipping it.
>>
>> TBH, given your description, I'm no longer sure a simple boolean
>> variable that disables insert/delete-line optimization will do, since
>> the issue seems to be a much more general one.  How sure are we that
>> some other scenario of redrawing a TTY frame won't cause similar
>> flickering regardless of the insert/delete-line feature?
>
> That's what I think, too.
>
> Maybe Dmitrii is Someone :-).

I had an idea: Until this all is standardized/stable, how about adding
two hooks that are called when Emacs is beginning a terminal update and
when it is done?  The user could then send whatever he wants to the
terminal.  Or maybe beginnign an update/end an update on any type of
frame even?  Don't know if that's useful though.