Subject: Re: bug#5742: Customize and obsolete options

From: Jens Lechtenboerger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 18:07:28 +0100

On 2010-03-19, at 20:44, Glenn Morris wrote:

> Severity: wishlist
>
> Customize does not seem to indicate in any way when options are
> obsolete.
> [...]

I'd like to extend the reported issue.

Customize does not warn users of obsolete options.  This is
guaranteed to create surprises far in the future when the obsolete
feature is removed.  This is particularly bad, if no equivalent
functionality exists (or if it is not documented).  See bug#26233
for an example.

The functions custom-set-variables and customize-set-variable could
print warnings when they modify obsolete variables.

Even better, code that touches obsolete variables could generate
warnings.

Best wishes
Jens