Subject: bug#57418: closed (Re: bug#57418: 28.1; Projects not saved when vc-handled-backends is nil)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 22:37:01 +0000

Your bug report

#57418: 28.1; Projects not saved when vc-handled-backends is nil

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
57418: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=57418
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#57418: 28.1; Projects not saved when vc-handled-backends is nil
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Louis-Guillaume Gagnon <[email-masked]>, Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 01:36:25 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 26.08.2022 19:11, Louis-Guillaume Gagnon wrote:
> Dear all,
> 
> This appears to do what I want:
> 
>     (setq vc-follow-symlinks nil)
>     (defun my-vc-off-if-remote ()
>       (if (file-remote-p (buffer-file-name))
>           (setq-local vc-handled-backends nil)))
>     (add-hook 'find-file-hook 'my-vc-off-if-remote)
> 
> I guess this can be closed as "notabug".

Very good, closing.

Subject: 28.1; Projects not saved when vc-handled-backends is nil
From: Louis-Guillaume Gagnon <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 20:35:55 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Good day,

I've recently been migrating from projectile to the built-in
project.el. Since then, one major annoyance is that the projects are
never saved into project-list-file, so I have to re-enter the projects'
paths everytime I make a query.

I have narrowed it down to vc-handled-backends being set to nil in my
init-file. If it's left at its default, it works as expected. I could
just leave the variable at its default but (iirc) it's part of a bunch
of optimizations I made to speedup my TRAMP setup, so I'm reluctant to
do that.  And just to be perfectly clear, the rest of project mode seemingly
works as expected if that variable is nil, it's just the projects are
not saved.

Steps to reproduce from emacs -Q:

+ (setq 'vc-handled-backends nil)

+ Use project.el to find a file in any project not in your
project-list-file, e.g. with C-x p p

+ Open your project-list-file, "/.emacs.d/projects" in my case

Expected result: The recently opened project is listed
Actual result: The recently opened project is *not* listed

Thanks in advance,
L-G

In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.33,
cairo version 1.17.6)
  of 2022-04-27 built on frederik
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
  'configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-native-compilation
  --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib
  --localstatedir=/var --with-cairo --with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd
  --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt
  -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
  -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection -g
  -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug -flto=auto'
  'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 68327 6828)
  (symbols 48 6640 0)
  (strings 32 19747 1364)
  (string-bytes 1 670753)
  (vectors 16 14088)
  (vector-slots 8 298948 14165)
  (floats 8 22 33)
  (intervals 56 237 1)
  (buffers 992 11))