Subject: Re: bug#57418: 28.1; Projects not saved when vc-handled-backends is nil

From: Louis-Guillaume Gagnon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 14:34:54 +0000

Hi Dmitry & all,

Le 8/26/22 à 07:21, Dmitry Gutov a écrit :
>> This is to be expected, as by default `project-find-functions' only
>> includes one function that uses and relies on VC.  If it were just this,
>> I would therefore not consider this to be a bug.  Does anything else
>> work?  `project-find-file', `project-shell', `project-compile', ...?
> I'm honestly surprised that things work with vc-handled-backends disabled.
>
> Louis-Guillaume, does (project-current) ever evaluate to non-nil on your
> system? I'm guessing you end up picking the project directory manually
> every time.

Indeed, it's always nil if vc-handled-backends is also nil. I think the
situation now makes more sense to me now; I thought the only problem is
that the projects are not saved but the reason why I have to reenter the
project every  time is deeper and related to project-root, I guess.

I will explore the various proposed ways to get the equivalent setup
without wholesale disabling vc. Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

L-G