Subject: Re: bug#57412: Could we make linum.el obsolete?

From: Colin Baxter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 20:00:40 +0100

>>>>> Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

    > On 26.08.2022 11:20, Colin Baxter wrote:
    >>>>>>> Stefan Kangas<[email-masked]> writes:
    >> > Severity: wishlist Is there any reason to keep linum.el around
    >> any > longer, or could it be marked obsolete in favor of >
    >> `display-line-numbers-mode'?  > Given our obsoletion policy, it
    >> would still be around for another > decade, which should give
    >> users plenty of time to adapt.  Please do not obsolete this. I do
    >> not like display-line-numbers-mode, preferring line numbers in
    >> the margin. There must be other users similarly inclined.

    > Have you tried nlinum-mode from GNU ELPA? I hear it has better
    > performance and apparently fewer bugs.

    >> I do not understand this need to obsolete packages that perform
    >> perfectly well. Emacs often has multiple ways of achieving the
    >> same outcome, which is surely a positive.

    > It's good to reduce the volume of code we have to support over
    > time.

    > It would also help people land on a faster and better supported
    > alternative.

Yes, I understand that and agree. From my perspective, I am disappointed
that candidates for obsolescence seem to be chosen from libraries that
are useful and not from morse, zone and the like.

Best wishes,