Subject: Re: bug#57400: 29.0.50; Support sending patches from VC directly

From: Antoine Kalmbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 16:10:58 +0300

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Only if the MUA can recognise the patch and pipe it into a git am
>> process.
>
> What do you mean by "MUA can recognize" here? which Emacs MUA
> recognizes Git-formatted patches and applies them?

I don't think any does.  Insofar as Mutt and Aerc are concerned, all they
provide is functionality for syntax highlighting the diff and then a
command for piping the message.  Emacs can do, and does, both of
those. (At least Gnus highlights patch blocks.)

> What I do is invoke "M-|" and send the region to "git am".  That
> requires myself to recognize the patches, not the MUA I use.

If the patch is attached, you open the patch, mark it, and then M-| git
am, right? The standard Git approach is to just pipe the whole message,
expecting the patch to be in the email directly.

Or even with attachments, can you actually mark the whole email buffer
and pipe that? 

> Do you intend to provide a VC front-end to applying the patch-set, as
> part of this job?  Because if not, what happens on the receiving end
> is out of the scope of the feature we are discussing.
>

Having a complementary `vc-apply-patch` wouldn't be a bad idea, but
I think we should do the sending part first. 

>
> We should have a user option that doesn't require project.el
> (project.el can override it, of course).  There should be no
> requirement to use project.el to send patches from VC.

I think Philip means directory-local variables, not project.el.

-- 
Antoine Kalmbach