Subject: bug#57400: 29.0.50; Support sending patches from VC directly

From: Antoine Kalmbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 15:08:01 +0300

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > Also, I'm not sure why we'd need to send each patch file separately.
>> > Why not add them one by one as attachments to the same email message?
>> 
>> This wouldn't work if we are sending patches to a mailing list that
>> assumes patches are sent out by git send-email, and that the messages
>> can be filtered through git am.
>
> "git am" handles attachments without any problems, I do it all the
> time.
>

But you have to save the attached .patch files and then run git am on
those.  Typically, without attachments, you'd run `git am` on the
message (mbox) directly.  Each mail is a patch in that sense, and a
separate cover letter is sent first when there's some introductory words
that need to be said.

> But I don't object to having optional behaviors here.  My point is
> that we should allow sending all the patches together, as that is the
> preferred/usual practice in Emacs development.

Yes, but users would have to apply the customization to get the Emacs
way of working, I think.  

-- 
Antoine Kalmbach