Subject: bug#57400: 29.0.50; Support sending patches from VC directly

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2022 13:42:40 +0000

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 08.10.2022 15:11, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
>> Dmitry Gutov<[email-masked]>  writes:
>> 
>>>> The main issue I see here is that 'next-revision' requires a file
>>>> argument.  What should that be?
>>> The 'mergebase' and 'print-log' actions don't seem to require it.
>> I am not sure if this might help, but it seems that (vc-deduce-fileset
>> t) could give some useful information?
>
> I suppose it could, if we wanted to support limiting the generated
> patches to a subset of files. That might be not very obvious behavior,
> though. I don't know.
>
> BTW, does vc-print-root-log really not work with CVS? Perhaps it will
> be a good idea to define the 'root' action there (which will
> recursively check the parent directory and see whether it still
> contains the "CVS" dir). As long as CVS knows how to recursively diff
> the directory tree, I suppose. And show history for it whole.

I checked out the Emacs www repository and tried it out.  This was the
error I got:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (vc-not-supported root CVS)
  signal(vc-not-supported (root CVS))
  vc-call-backend(CVS root "~/Source/emacs-www/")
  vc-print-root-log(2000)
  funcall-interactively(vc-print-root-log 2000)
  call-interactively(vc-print-root-log nil nil)
  command-execute(vc-print-root-log)