Subject: Re: [bug#57388] [PATCH] gnu: debops: Update to 3.0.2.

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 23:59:43 +0200

On 24-08-2022 18:11, Arjan Adriaanse wrote:

> -         ;; patch shebangs only in actuall scripts, not in files included in
> -         ;; roles (which are to be delivered to the targte systems)
> -         (delete `patch-generated-file-shebangs)
> -         (replace 'patch-source-shebangs
> -           (lambda _
> -             (for-each patch-shebang
> -                       (find-files "bin"
> -                                   (lambda (file stat)
> -                                     ;; Filter out symlinks.
> -                                     (eq? 'regular (stat:type stat)))
> -                                   #:stat lstat))))
> [...]
> +     `(#:phases (modify-phases %standard-phases
> +                  ;; Patching shebangs breaks scripts that are meant to be
> +                  ;; deployed to other systems and there are no scripts that
> +                  ;; do need patching.
> +                  (delete 'patch-source-shebangs)
> +                  (delete 'patch-generated-file-shebangs))))

This seems a serious stealth change, not just removing a few trailing 
#t. Hence, this is something to give a rationale for (in the commit 
message or a comment) -- e.g., would it be possible to only patch the 
'safe' scripts and leave the scripts that are send over the network 
alone, succeeding in both your apparent reason for this patch and the 
reason for patch-source-shebangs?

Likewise for 'fix-paths', 'nuke-debops-update' and the removed patch.

Greetings,
Maxime.