Subject: Re: [bug#57387] [PATCH] gnu: Add restartd.

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 20:09:07 +0200

On 24-08-2022 17:59, Nicolas Graves via Guix-patches via wrote:

> +         (revision "1.1"))

"1.1" -> "1" ('revision' must be a string with a number, as expected by 
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53144).

Also, why is an unreleased version used? I assume because of lack of 
activity upstream, but a comment would have been useful.

> +                (substitute* "Makefile"
> +                  (("CC \\?= gcc") "CC = gcc"))))
For cross-compilation, use (cc-for-target)

According to Debian, the home-page is 
<https://github.com/ajraymond/restartd>.

Looking at some source files, it appears to be gpl2-or-later, not gpl2-only.

In restartd.c, it is missing error checking for 'fopen', 'malloc' and 
'strdup'.

in config.c, it is missing error checking for 'malloc'  (and for printf 
on stderr, but there isn't much that can be odone in that case). Also 
printf on stdout, though less important.

On the patches: IIUC, in case additional commits are added to the PR, 
the patch is updated appropriately, so these patches are volatile. Even 
if that doesn't happen, the patch generation algorithm could change 
later. As such, copying these into gnu/packages/patches + search-pathes 
is recommended

> You can execute a script or a program if the process is or is not running.
Maybe: 'The daemon runs an user-provided script based once a program 
starts running or stops running.' That seems a little clearer English to 
me ('it is running or not running' is always true, and scripts / 
programs can be run, but it's not a claim about restartd).

Greetings,
Maxime.