Subject: Re: bug#57379: GUI toolkit for Guile 3.0?

From: David Pirotte <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 13:54:37 -0300

Hello Lee,

> Thanks again, David.

Welcome.

> I was able to use a solution from Ricardo to get guile-gi to run
> under guix

I hope Ricardo, possibly with the help of other guix contributor's will
find a solution so that g-golf may also run 'out of the box' on guix.

> guile 3.0.7, which I hope would be OK.

Yes, you need guile 2.0, 2.2 or 3.0, in which case it must be >= 3.0.7

> For g-golf, would you > recommend I clone your github repo and
> compile it . . . ?

Yes, installing from the source tree instructions are here:

	https://www.gnu.org/software/g-golf/install.html

	[ just 'stick' to the master branch, although I may recommend
	[ to use the devel branch 'in the future', at this moment the
	[ devel branch is in a wip stage.

Two things to add to those instructions:

1.
	to run the checks, 'make check', you'd need two additional
	dependencies:

		gir1.2-clutter-1.0:amd64
		gir1.2-gtk-3.0:amd64

	I'll get rid of those dependencies before the first official
	release, but for now, some tests use either clutter or gtk-3

2.

	to run g-golf examples, you need to install

		gir1.2-gtk-4.0:amd64

	you may try the examples before installing, like this:

	cd  <...g-golf-tree...>/examples/gtk-4
	../../pre-inst-env ./hello-world.scm

This page shows a screenshot for each example:

	https://www.gnu.org/software/g-golf/learn.html

Let me kow how it goes,
Thanks,
David