Subject: Re: bug#57379: GUI toolkit for Guile 3.0?

From: David Pirotte <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 20:04:44 -0300

Hello Ricardo,

Thanks for your help on this  guix problem - G-Golf works perfectly
fine on Debian - See the first part of my answer to Lee's message,
the one that comments the GdkPixbuf bug that happens (only) on guix.

> My first guess was that perhaps it gets confused because GTK 3 stuff
> also exists on my machine

That is impossible, by GObject Introspection design, you may, as I
have, have all gtk/gdk[/gsk] gir versions installed at the same time and
there will never be any conflict. As  user you specify the version you
wish to work with, otherwise it imports the latest, but never will it
let you import and work 'mixing' version.

>I can reproduce this.  I also tried the latest commit of g-golf:

>    guix shell --pure guile \
>                      guile-g-golf \
>                      gtk@4 \
>                      coreutils \
>                      grep \
>               --with-commit=guile-g-golf=b9956e6e4c60d6be5424290e4366f3d3f46b2c31
>    \
>               --cores=1

Oh, please stick to the latest  master commit -  I am in a process
of re-designing re-writing the way users may register new classes, that
inherit from GInterface. I also am re-designing re-writing how users
interact with VFunc. For these reasons, I recommend the guix team
to stick to the latest commit of the master branch for now.

The hello-world example has worked 'fine', on Debian, for many years,
you don't need the latest commit to run it :) - though in January
2021, I updated it (as well as other examples) to use Gtk-4.0.

> But I can’t get it to work.  It would be helpful if g-golf were to
> print more diagnostic information.

These are Gtk/Gdk/GObject/GLib error messages, not G-Golf messages, as
there is no G-Golf error here.

> I only ever used guile-gi successfully.  This is the Guix shell:
> ...

Glad to here that.

In debian, after you compiled installed G-Golf, and the
gir1.2-gtk-4.0:amd64, you may

	cd <...g-golf...>/examples/gtk-4
	./hello-world.scm

	[ or any other examples
	[ for the revealer.scm though, you need to make sure the
	[GNOME] desktop 'animation' option is ON

David