Subject: Re: bug#57379: GUI toolkit for Guile 3.0?

From: Lee Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 14:11:59 -0700

Thank you for responding, Ricardo! I have tried several permutations of
packages, but currently I have this:

$ guix package --list-installed
guile       3.0.8             out
/gnu/store/1jgcbdzx2ss6xv59w55g3kr3x4935dfb-guile-3.0.8
gnutls       3.7.7             out
/gnu/store/349nw48785mbxzsl3adc4wch1hslg7fl-gnutls-3.7.7
guile-g-golf 0.1.0-1010.1824633 out
/gnu/store/vwkaxl1cl76yxdpzvkvx0sclkyksqm9g-guile-g-golf-0.1.0-1010.1824633

$ guix describe
Generation 2 Aug 21 2022 10:50:20 (current)
  guix 706b3ef
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: 706b3ef38b2f7ce9f05aa56e2eaaaf1c19e25f90

With that, I run guix shell guile guile-g-golf . Within that shell, I run
the script found at
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/g-golf.git/tree/examples/gtk-4/hello-world.scm
,
and it produces those errors, and hangs.

I am a complete n00b with guix (and g-golf, but I have some history with
guile), so I'm assuming I'm doing things incorrectly. That's why I'm trying
permutations of package installs; I get the same errors with gtk 4.6.6
installed and included on the guix shell command. So I'm willing to try
whatever you suggest, to get this bug closed. My base OS is Ubuntu 22.04,
which only lets me install guile 3.0.7 via apt, and the other packages are
similarly out-of-date or broken - which is why I turned to guix. It has
done well on the other packages I've tried (gnutls, for one). So please
tell me if I can help in any way.

On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 1:36 PM Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> Lee Thomas <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > So I assume I haven't fixed the guix environment completely yet, but
> > I'm still working on that. The guix toolset is advertised to manage
> > all the interdependencies, but I'm not certain that it works in every
> > situation. I'll keep trying, though. Thanks again.
>
> Could you please show us how to reproduce this?  We would need to see
> the Guix command, the code you run, and ideally the output of “guix
> describe”.
>
> --
> Ricardo
>