Subject: Re: bug#57379: GUI toolkit for Guile 3.0?

From: David Pirotte <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 23:27:24 -0300

Hello Lee,

> David, I was able to install G-Golf via guix, and that also worked
> with the "use-modules" portion of your "Hello, World!" example.

> HOWEVER (alas), both examples fail on the "use-typelibs" line, with:
> Typelib file for namespace 'Gtk', version '4.0' not found

This is a guix 'problem' [1], please try to get some help on guix-user
ML, or if you have on irc:	irc.libera.chat	(channel) #guix

> In trying to resolve that error myself, I found that the guile manual
> has no entry for "use-typelib" in the Procedures Index. :-/  I'll
> submit that bug in a new email, after confirming there's not already
> a thread.

No, there is no 'use-typelib, as you can read in each example, the
procedure call is:

	(g-irepository-require "Gtk" #:version "4.0")
	[ the manual has an entry for g-irepository-require

So, with this in mind, the error message is 'correct'. Note that it
would also fail if there is a tipo in the namespace, or if you refer to
a version that does not exist ...

> Oh, and David, https://www.gnu.org/software/g-golf/index.html has a
> link for Typelib that 404s. I would suggest a fix, but I couldn't
> easily find one, sorry.

Thanks, I'll look at this.

David

[1]	I mean you need to find the name of the package and install
it, this is not a G-Golf dependency, it is only needed if you wish t
run those examples, which are mini apps, not part of the G-Golf core
lib ... so to speak, it is 'user dependency' ... I think guix has Gtk-4+
packages, including the package that 'has' the typelib, but I don't use
guix, so i am unable to give you precise guidance ... the #guix channel
is extremely responsive, helpful, and very friendly, so don't be
scared to ask ...