Subject: Re: bug#57379: GUI toolkit for Guile 3.0?

From: Lee Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 14:49:12 -0700

Thank you both!!

Jessica, when I invoked the guix shell as you showed, it worked in that
"(use-modules (gi))" succeeded. I need to learn more about including
packages with the guix shell command. It's odd that I can get the latest
guile to run without specifying it for guix, but I must have the other
packages for gi to work .. . .

David, I was able to install G-Golf via guix, and that also worked with the
"use-modules" portion of your "Hello, World!" example.

HOWEVER (alas), both examples fail on the "use-typelibs" line, with:
Typelib file for namespace 'Gtk', version '4.0' not found

In trying to resolve that error myself, I found that the guile manual has
no entry for "use-typelib" in the Procedures Index. :-/  I'll submit that
bug in a new email, after confirming there's not already a thread.

Oh, and David, https://www.gnu.org/software/g-golf/index.html has a link
for Typelib that 404s. I would suggest a fix, but I couldn't easily find
one, sorry.

But both of you have shown me that what I originally wanted to do is, in
fact, doable. Thanks again!

On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 1:03 PM David Pirotte <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > > ... I'm trying to at least prototype a GUI in the same way that
> > > in Python I can write "import gi" and proceed to create a GTK
> > > window, add buttons and menubars and toolbars, etc.
>
> You might also try G-Golf - disclaimer, I am the G-Golf maintainer, I
> was hoping/waiting that some answer(s) would point to both solutions,
> but as it didn't happen, here is the link [1].
>
> David
>
> [1]     https://www.gnu.org/software/g-golf/index.html
>