Subject: bug#57379: GUI toolkit for Guile 3.0?

From: Lee Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 19:35:31 -0700

Hi. I hope I'm submitting this correctly; please tell me if I'm wrong. I'm
trying to at least prototype a GUI in the same way that in Python I can
write "import gi" and proceed to create a GTK window, add buttons and
menubars and toolbars, etc. I've tried the various online  sites, but none
of them have succeeded for me even with "use-modules", so I'm thinking
they've not been updated for Guile 3.0 yet. And that's fine; I understand
the massive effort involved. I would actually like to know if one of the
projects is slated to move forward, so I can volunteer to help. And I don't
care if that toolkit is for GTK or some other platform.

For my environment, I'm running guile 3.0.8 under the latest guix, and I've
done upgrades, but I admit to being a guix n00b. I have guix running atop
Ubuntu 22.04, if that's relevant.

I will assume that I should report my problems with guix installing the
various toolkit packages not here, but to a guix mailing list.

Finally, if there's no GUI toolkit for Guile coming anytime soon, then I
can write my app in C and link Guile into it. I've done the linking
successfully several times for other projects. But it would be really nice
to have a simple Guile script that launches a GUI, just as I can have a
simple Python script do the same. The rest of my app's code is in Guile
Scheme.

Thanks in advance, but I hope to follow up.